Recently, I’ve set myself some new running goals. There are a lot of reasons for this, but mostly because I’ve been super unfocused and therefore, my training has been all over the place. Sometimes even in a bad way (junk miles just cause, poor excuses for cross training, lifting for no apparent reason).. So I’m going to give myself some goals that I plan to stick to diligently. I still don’t have a specific training plan, where everything is laid out day to day, but I do want to make sure a few things happen every week, and it will be at my discretion based on how I feel and my schedule when these things will get done.
So, here goes! My current running goals are:
1. Run a half marathon in the summer. YES, it’s far away, but it is my main goal, and I hope I can get there.
2. Run a 5k within the next 4 months. I really want to start to get into racing!
3. Stop being a baby about it. Sometimes, I really have no reason to stop running or whatever.. But I do anyways because of fear that something bad might happen. I really need to STOP IT and PUSH MYSELF. Within reason, of course. Pushing myself is the only way I’m going to get to goals 1 and 2, so I better make it a priority.
To complete these goals, I have a plan, as I said earlier. These are guidelines, and I think they’ll help me get the most out of running:
1. Get in around 30 miles per week.
2. Take a break when I don’t feel up to running by cross training. But don’t cross train too much.
3. Don’t beat myself up if I’m too tired or busy and have to miss a workout. It’s fine.
4. Fuel myself more with the RIGHT fuel to prevent injury/overtraining.
5. Add more speed workouts into my training.
6. Run outside when I can. (I often have a problem with this because the treadmill is SO PREDICTABLE.)
7. Don’t put in junk miles and workouts. Have a purpose for everything.
8. Lift when possible, and enjoy it. Try to make gains which will make me a stronger athlete.
So! That’s where I am right now. I’m trying to find a 5k to run when I’m home for upcoming breaks, but we’ll see. I’m really motivated and excited right now.. So we’ll see how it goes! Any tips for me?
Do you set goals to focus yourself? What’s your current goal, if you have one?
See you soon with a newly perfected recipe! (Hint.. CAKE!)